Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Alexis - A New York Times Best Selling Author?

Everyday in Alexis' 3rd-grade class they spend a few minutes in Writer's Workshop.  The point is to encourage the kids to use their imaginations and just write.  They are given very few limitations and/or guidelines.  Alexis always has some interesting writings but this one is worth sharing.  As you will see, Alexis' imagination needs very little encouragement.  This story started out as a short activity page and has blossomed into a novel.  According to Alexis, the story isn't finished. We are looking forward to reading more.  I have attached the activity page as a picture and have written out the rest of the story below it, exactly as Alexis has written it.  Enjoy - we hope it makes you laugh!


The Prom
"Only 1 week before the prom Drake!" Christy said excitedly. "I can't wait." Drake said grumpily.
Drake was a camel, but Christy didn't know that.  A very nice camel who is blind.
Drake does not know Christy is not a camel.  Christy does not know Jake is not a human being.
Christy was also blind.  Just before the prom they found out the truth.  But since they were both blind they thought they were perfect for each other.
When they were getting ready for the prom Drake called Christy and said, "Should I wear black or blue?" Christy answered "I prefer black." Drake said "Thank you." and hung up.
When they were entering the prom, Mr. Truffles called them to the his office.
Mr. Truffles was the princaple of the school.
No one liked to go there because of Mr. Truffles pet tiger Tigress, the spanish-speaking tiger.
Mr. Truffles said "Christy why are you dating a camel?" Christy answered "Because he's blind and I'm blind." Drake said "After prom I was going to take her to my house so she could meet my pets." "Who exactly are your pets?" Mr. Truffles asked unsure he wanted an answer.
Drake replied "Bruce my talking dog and Stickers my very sticky bear." "All right then. Go ahead. You told me your reasons. Now get back to the prom and enjoy yourselves." Mr. Truffles said happily.
After the prom at 10:00 o'clock at night Drake took Christy to his house.
Christy knew about Drake's pets and didn't know how they would react, but she didn't want to be rude.
Bruce ran right up to Christy and started sniffing her then he said "It's alright Stickers she's clean." Then he looked at Christy and said "Stickers is a sticky bear, a very sticky bear. You'll see why when she comes out." Christy could see why they called her that.  She was covered with dry stickers.
After Christy said good-bye to Drake she went home to swim in the pool.
She heard a strange gurgling and swam over to where it was and dove down to see what was down there.  It was a CAT! She brougt it to the surface.
She got out of her pool and brougt the cat to a bench.  She started pushing its stomache and then water came out of the cat's mouth.
Then the cat did the strangest thing. It talked to her in french.
Christy said "Excuse me!" Then the cat said "I'm sorry I didn't know you speak english." Christy called Drake and said "I found a french-speaking cat in my pool!" Drake said "I would believe it if we could see it." "How could you tell it was a cat Christy" Christy simply answered "Cats are fluffy and she was really fluffy."  The cat chimed in "My name is Fluffy." Drake said "That's just great, my girlfriend found a car names Fluffy at the bottom of her pool and the cat speaks french!" Christy said "Don't worry too much. I'll take care of it."Drake said "I'm going to bed." and hung up. Christy asked the cat "Do you have any friends or family? Because I need to send you there right now." The car answered "Yes I have a friend named Fluff."" Where does he live????" Christy asked. "France." the cat answered calmly.


6 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh man, that is a trip. Had me laughing out loud. Definitely an imagination! Can't wait to read the next chapter.

Sharron said...

Oh My goodness . . . this is wonderful, can't wait for the next installment!!!

dhillman said...

I love that last line, made me laugh! Wow, what a story and an imagination!

Mary Jane said...

What a lovely, wonderful imagination. And so Alexis! I like the art too. Thanks for sharing. For the rest of my work day I will think about the camel and the cheerleader and their very interesting lives.

Emily Christiansen said...

Love it! That Alexis is so imaginative.

Linda said...

The writing of children is delightful! I'm sure Shel Silverstein got his start just this way.