Thursday, February 25, 2010

Snow Day!!

So we FINALLY had our first real winter storm!  By the time it was all said and done, there was probably about 12 inches on the ground.  School and work were cancelled and we all hunkered in trying to stay warm.  Once the snow stopped falling, the rain started and it has pretty much been raining ever since.  Ugh ugh ugh!  Let me simplify for those of you who are desert rats who live where the world shuts down for a minor snow flurry -- a foot of snow + a lot of rain in 35 degree temperatures = A BIG MESS!!!!  The snow turns into ice chunks which are no fun to shovel and the puddles form on the sidewalks since the water can't run into the yards because there is too much snow.  What I continue to find amazing is that no matter how messy it gets, life goes on!  The snow plows plow, the neighbors all shovel, and we all trek out to our various destinations.  It sounds like I'm complaining doesn't it?  I kind of am, but I also have to admit that I love a good snow!  It's so pretty and clean before we all set out to mar the beauty of it.  It also gives you an excuse to drink hot chocolate and watch movies all day.  That is definitely not something to complain about!
Snow lays heavy on the branches
The next door neighbor's tree
The view of our street
Rick shovels while Alexis piles
Alexis shovels while Rick supervises
Julee decides it's too cold outside and retreats back inside
Alexis is loving life at the moment
The view from our front porch
One of these things is not like the others......
If you look closely, you will see that the person walking in that driveway is the mailman -
poor guy out delivering my bills in the snow. 
They say there might be more snow tonight. Bring it on!

2 comments:

Sharron said...

Oh I am so jealous!! My first winter in SLC years ago we had snow like that for several months and really enjoyed it. I walked about a mile to work I loved it so much. got many strange looks . . but oh well!

Hope you also have a wonderful book to curl up with too . . . that's my favorite!

Mary Jane said...

I am Soooooooooooooooo jealous - You know me I want one year some time in my life (while I can still enjoy it) with 4 seasons.
Love you all!