Thursday, January 22, 2009

My New Love/Hate Relationship

So this year Rick and I decided to join a gym as part of our quest to lose weight and be healthier. It is very inexpensive and close to home with a nice family type atmosphere. To help motivate one another, we decided that we would go to the gym together. With our family schedule and everybody's going ons, this means that we have to go the gym before Rick goes to work.
Enter the hate part ~ getting up at 5am
I didn't realize how getting up at 5am would affect my entire existence! I no longer lounge lazily in bed enjoying the comfiness of the covers. My bladder has now been trained to require relief before the sun comes up (even on the weekend). And, I can no longer stay up until all hours of the night ~ especially if I want to wake up when that alarm goes off. Rick says that no matter how early I go to bed or how much sleep I get, I am just NOT a morning person. I agree - thus the hate part. But once I actually drag myself out of bed, life doesn't look so bleak. Until of course, we actually get to the gym. Once at the gym, I encounter my 2 morning enemies:
the treadmill
and the stationary bike
I am SURE that I hear them laughing as they see me coming. I KNOW they raise the incline a little higher and make the suspension a little tighter as I cross the room. It's just wrong! But, I put in my ear buds, turn on my purple Disney Tinkerbell MP3 player (inherited from Alexis when she got a bigger and better model for her birthday), and attack. The match usually lasts 35-40 minutes and I always finish (the love part ~ finishing) a little sweatier with several points for aches and pains. The sense of accomplishment is a good feeling as well as the opportunity to get a jump start on the day (again ~ the love part)! Then again, I have to because before I know it, it's time to go to bed again.....

By the way, did I mention that at 5am in New York in the dead of winter it is a whole 5* outside?Not including the windchill factor? I guess that's a whole other blog.......

13 comments:

Elisa said...

Oh my gosh, you are amazing!

sixpickychicks said...

Training for Early Morning Seminary...

Linda said...

Oo, I know what you're talking about. But if you are consistent and keep at it at all costs, the payoff is worth it. How fun to do it together. And I complain about 45 degree weather.

dhillman said...

Way to go Steph! I have that same love/hate relationship...only it isn't that early in the morning or that cold! Man, I will do better now knowing how easy I have it!!
I think that is awesome that you are doing it together.

Alison said...

Good for you sister! Jay and I are trying to get on the workout bandwagon. It's hard to get started but once you do it feels so good.

Sharron said...

Good girl Steph! I quit walking when my asthma got the best of me and I had have Stephen haul my behind home one day. I laid off, just until I could breathe again ... and you know the rest of that story!

Keep it up. It makes you feel so much better in the long run. I was ready to grit my teeth and start all over again when I did something to my foot. I will though and every day I torture myself with how lousy I feel comapared to how good I felt and how well I slept when I got that exercise every day. So keep it up!

Gretchen said...

Someday we are going to like, right? I don't know, but at least it is good for us.

Sharron said...

How's it going? Keep it up, it all adds up! Or should I have subtracts down?!?!?

Mary Jane said...

Hey there! Don't faint because I made a comment. Wow - I am impressed - keep up the good work. It looks like most of this family is working on healthy life styles this year

Robin and Larry said...

Stephanie...will you e mail me at jumpship6@gmail.com ? I want to ask you a question and I tried the juleealexis@hotmail.com and it got returned..

Tracy said...

Glad I'm not alone! I'm going MT THF at 5:15 for an hour with a friend. I'd love it more if I hadn't just eaten 2 chocolate bars. :(

John and Becky Bowler said...

You're nuts...5:30 in the morning?!? Kudos to you. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Sounds like I've got myself another substitute...