Monday, March 30, 2009

Laundry....and more laundry

Why is it that it always seems like I just did all the laundry, but yet I am always still doing laundry? Of all of the household chores, including the bathrooms, laundry is my least favorite! For years I have pondered this, trying to figure out what it is about laundry that I dislike so much. Today as I have been working through my to do list (which includes laundry), I have discovered the answer. It is because laundry fights against the fiber of my very being. As you ALL know, I am a "put it on the list and get it done as soon as possible so you can mark it off the list" kind of a gal. Laundry doesn't work that way - laundry is a waiting game. Wait for the wash cycle, throw the load in the dryer. Put in the next load which is done washing before the first load finishes drying. Fold the first load, put the second one into dry, and the whole thing starts all over again ~ you know the routine. So then I have folded clothes sitting on my table for an unknown amount of time, waiting for all the loads to finally go through the cycle. The only relief comes when the clean, freshly folded clothes are placed in the basket and handed over to their owners to be put away. At least I think they put it away. Oh well, I think I hear the dryer buzzing......

6 comments:

dhillman said...

Amen.
I can relate so much to that post--even the lists!

Sharron said...

I feel your pain BUT I used to help my mom wash clothes in the back yard with a wringer washer and then hung them on the line to dry. Then we would sprinkle them, roll them up, put them in a big plastic bag with a zipper that always caught, to let the clothes sour, I mean let the moisture get evenly distributed through all the fabrics. Next you ironed it all. i remember how excited when she got her first steam iron, big stuff for a farmer's wife! I got my first dryer 6 years after we got married, that was a dream come true, fuffed dried clothes!

But the truth be told, I get so tired of laundry too, and I happen to be leaning on a pile of it on the love seat and my dogs are snuggled up to my arm on top of the pile . . . how soon I forgot how lucky I was to have a dryer!

Linda said...

Sharron, you date yourself! I remember those wringer washers well. Stephanie, washing and ironing have always been my favorite household chore, yeah, I know I'm a little nuts. Somehow when the wash is done, and clothes put away I feel like it is a new beginning. All is right with the world when at that mini-minute I don't have any clothes to wash! Your post was very funny and if you would have said dusting, I totally could relate!

Alison said...

I feel like I do laundry all the time too. I get the loads done and then I look at the hamper and it's full again. So frustrating. I will say though that I would rather do load after load of laundry than clean the kitchen. I HATE cleaning the kitchen!

Sharron said...

I forgot to mention, when it was too cold my mom would load all the laundry up and we would go to the laundromat. I loved it! there were six wringer washers, each with three rinse tubs. It was in the little town we lived near, Mesquite NM. There was a shelf on one side that had quarts of light blue starch that you could buy. It was fun to stick your finger in and make it jiggle. My favorite trips up there were when the drains got plugged and there was lots of water on the concrete floor that you could take off your shoes and wade in.

Our first automatic washer was bought in the fall of 1960. It was beautiful, aqua, to match the counter top stove and built-in oven in the kitchen of our brand new house.

Mary Jane said...

You make me laugh - I like laundry! - I can do other things while it is going and I really don't mind and sometimes enjoy cleaning the kitchen most of the time - but then Dad complains because we are doing his job.
And I hate lists! Why do I live in Arizona? - dusting is such a waste of time.